Couture Bros

187 Avenue A , Turners Falls, MA 01376

(413) 863-4346

Visit: website

Our painting business began in 1910 by brothers Raoul and William Couture, located at 168 Avenue A Turners Falls. After servicing his country, brother Samuel H Couture (TFHS class of 1914) joined the firm. Raoul became ill and sold the company to Samuel and William in 1930 for the amount of $350.00. In 1933, Samuel bought out William but kept the name of Couture Bros. A new building was built at 187 Avenue A, Turners Falls by contractor George H. Reed & Co. in 1933, which is the present location. (Site built 2019)

Image of Home Page

Our painting business began in 1910 by brothers Raoul and William Couture, located at 168 Avenue A Turners Falls. After servicing his country, brother Samuel H Couture (TFHS class of 1914) joined the firm. Raoul became ill and sold the company to Samuel and William in 1930 for the amount of $350.00. In 1933, Samuel bought out William but kept the name of Couture Bros. A new building was built at 187 Avenue A, Turners Falls by contractor George H. Reed & Co. in 1933, which is the present location. By 1941, Couture Bros reached a work force of 60 employees consisting of a retail paint and wallpaper store and painting contract business. The contracting business painted and wallpapered private homes, schools and factories.. Painting at gas stations and maintaining petroleum equipment for Esso (now Exxon), Gulf Oil, Shell Oil, Tidewater (Tydol), American Oil (Amoco), Texas (Texaco), and Standard Oil (Mobil) was also a part of the contracting business. Bottled Gas delivered to many homes (for cooking purposes) was another phase of the business.